TB Woods Online
TB Wood's Incorporated
A Member of the
Altra Industrial Motion Group
History Of TB Wood's
A Century and a Half of Innovation and Exceptional Quality
TB Wood's Incorporated was founded in 1857 and began as a foundry producing wood burning stoves. Our company's tradition of product innovation started early -- Wood's entered the power transmission industry at the turn of the century with the introduction of flat belted drives and line shafting.
A Continuous Line of Successful Product Development
Since the introduction of V-belt drive systems in the 1930's, Wood's has been a leading innovator in belted drives. In 1945, Wood's introduced the quick detachable ("QD") Bushing system. In the early 1950's the company introduced variable speed pulleys and synchronous timing belt drive systems. In 1957, Wood's developed and patented its Sure-Flex® couplings and captured a significant segment of the elastomeric coupling market.
In 1968, Wood's entered the Electronic motor controls business with the introduction of DC controls specifically designed for harsh manufacturing environments. In the 70's, Wood's, in an alliance with Uniroyal, began manufacturing and marketing high torque drives and synchronous belted drive systems which replaced a substantial number of chain sprocket systems. Wood's further strengthened its position in the electronic controls business in 1984 when it began marketing AC inverters.
Consistently Offering Solutions for Customer Needs
During the 1990's, Wood's strengthened its tradition as a recognized innovator of power transmission products. An award winning new line of AC inverters was introduced in 1991. Two new synchronous drives were introduced in 1992. In 1993, a strategic acquisition positioned TB Wood's as the market leader in mechanical variable speed drives and complimented our strong coupling line with a metallic disc offering. In 1994, TB Wood's satisfied the market requirements for a micro AC drive. In 1996, the range of this drive was extended to address growing customer requirements. A new, award-winning elastomeric coupling line was introduced in 1996 that brought together the advantages of bonded and shear into one product.
In April 2007, Wood’s was purchased by Altra Holdings, Inc. This beneficial acquisition placed TB Wood’s as part of a larger company with complementary products to help grow the business. While in the past 150 years, Wood’s was a privately held company, we are now on an ever changing frontier with endless possibilities. The Wood's name is virtually synonymous with power transmission products. As the number one producer of each of its mechanical products, we are continuously building on our significant market position for an even stronger future.
In December 2007, TB Wood's signed a definitive agreement to sell its electronic business to Vacon, a global supplier of adjustable speed drives. This enables Altra to continue its strategic focus on its core electro-mechanical power transmission business.
We take our reputation for product leadership seriously, continually delivering new products and better solutions for users around the world. We're proud to have a brand name that is recognized for exceptional product quality and global end user service.